Listen to books with read-along CDs!
Children need to hear 1,000 stories before they are ready to learn to read!
That is a lot of stories. But you can get some help by playing read-along CDs! CDs are the next best thing to mom and dad! They can be played while in the car, as you are cooking dinner and as your child is falling asleep.
Benefits of Listening to a Story:
- Child associates letters with words and words with meanings
- Child can hear the same story over and over again
- Child will start to recognize familiar words
- Child will start to read along!
You can make your own read-along by recording yourself reading the story. Even grandparents who live far away can stay connected with their grandchildren by recording themselves reading a story. What a wondeful way for your child to enjoy a story when you or grandma and grandpa aren't available (or your mouth is too tired!)
Usborne has some wonderful read-along stories!
- The Complete Book of Farmyard Tales (see book review
- The Usborne Book fo Bible Stories
- The Little Book of Train Stories
- Black Beauty
- The Billy Goats Gruff
- The Frog Prince
- The Nutcracker
- The Princess and the Pea
- Gulliver's Travels
- Stories of Magical Animals
- Stories of Robots